Château de Caumont

Château de CaumontDo you know 'La Dame de Monsoreau' by Dumas, père? 
 I know a bit as all the Mousquetaires books from a childhood,
Dame de Monsoreau
And you know,  by chance I came to the castle,
where one of the main personnages, Jean
Louis de Nogaret de La Valette, really lived.  
This is Château de Caumont, just some 30 km from a house where I live. 
Château de Caumont, Gascogne
He was born there, a friend-mignon of Henry III. Thanks to this friendship he became Duke of Épernon, and also became a rather stong person in all those catholical-hugenots-power plots.
Duke of Épernon,
The castle is solemn, grand, serious and saturated by centuries. Just a few minutes from home with all daily today-things, and bang, alive history in every brick. 
Château-de-Caumont,Gascogne, Watercolor
 Afterwards this Duke has intricate and complicated relationships with Henry IV.  Henry IV stayed in this castle, and his bedroom still exists there.  

I adore these old old old windows:

Chateau de Caumont Sketchbook

However it's this Duke Épernon who was also involved in hankey-pankey with Ravaillac, Henry IV's killer. 
Who knows, my dear Watson, who knows...



 Anyway my egoistic  interest here is just to grab all these beauties and feelings of centuries, and then depict them in my sketchbook. 
And I've got a great stamp there.


Chateau de Caumont Sketchbook

And I'm glad to participate with these views in the "Landscapes of the soul
 See you!

CONVERSATION

29 comm:

  1. I LOVE a good castle, and your sketchbook is fantastic!!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Your artwork is amazing! Love the addition of the tickets. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating history and wonderful art journaling. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown-Paper-Bunny,Susan, Valerie! -- thank you very much

      Delete
  4. your wonderful sketchbook pages!I am very happy and thank you for doing this with my topic at AJJ!

    Happ weekend and happy PPF
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you ELkie, yeah, the view of this château s very suitable for MY 'Landscapes of the soul'indeed. Happy WE & PPF

      Delete
  5. Oh merci beaucoup for sharing this magnificent chateau! I have always been fascinated by the French chateaux and have seen a fair amount of them but only in the Loire Valley where family live. Your watercolour rendition of Caumont is super! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouh Loire Valley, I really want to go there to take a look with my sketchbooks, -- lucky you! Thank you, and happy weekend

      Delete
  6. Your watercolor spread is awesome. I enjoy the history and photos you presented.
    Happy weekend ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sirkkis, oui, travels awake the desire to read some history books )

      Delete
  7. Those are three wonderful watercolour spreads ! Amazing post with the photos!
    Great that you are with us at Art Journal Journey! Thank you for linking to us!
    Your watercolor art and your sketches are amazing - watched your video on You Tube where you flip through your journal! Very inspiring!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Susi, your Art Journal Journey is great, a lot of cool things to see and to be involved there!

      Delete
  8. I love a bit of medieval intrigue! Wonderful photos and art Erica!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful journal pages!! Wow impressive!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the history behind your painting. What a talented artist you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful combination of art, photos, and history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work, congrats on your PPF feature today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci merci beaucoup, Christine ! So wonderful))

      Delete
  13. OMG what a fantastic post! I so enjoy reading and watching your sweet story about the past times! Your sketches and journal are/is amazing and soooo inspiring! I have visited Carcassonne these days, but it felt tooooo big to me, haha I prefer the tinyer castles for sure ;) ♥ Conny http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Conny !! And yes, Carcassonne is great, and it's good idea, I'll obviously show something about.

      Delete
  14. Some gorgeous photos and lovely sketch work:D Thankyou so much for sharing.

    I particularly like the windows you mentioned. Certainly could make some art with those :D

    Best wishes,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz; for me windows are the object magical and too difficult to depict, so I don't show it for a while, but maybe one day !

      Delete
  15. I have seen chateau only in movies..good to see one here and to read some history about it...your travel journal rendition of it is superb!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top